[CentOS] Centos 7 and ntp

Frank Cox-2
I've curious about where and how Centos 7 gets its ntp configuration from.

When I installed the operating system, I went through this page and told it to use "network time", as shown:

http://media.if-not-true-then-false.com/2014/07/06-centos-7-date-and-time-748x560.png

I just discovered that i don't actually have ntp installed on this computer, though the rpm does exist when I search for it with yum.

I do have ntpdate installed, but can't find any configuration files that specify the timeservers that it's supposed to be using.

I don't have a /etc/ntp.conf file, and a grep of /var/log/messages doesn't yield any lines containing the string ntp either.

My computer's clock is not inaccurate, so I guess that ntp is working somewhere behind the scenes here, but it sure is well hidden.

Where is ntp and its configuration hiding?  Why isn't it logging what it's doing?

Re: [CentOS] Centos 7 and ntp

Frantisek Hanzlik
Frank Cox wrote:

> I've curious about where and how Centos 7 gets its ntp configuration from.
>
> When I installed the operating system, I went through this page and told it to use "network time", as shown:
>
> http://media.if-not-true-then-false.com/2014/07/06-centos-7-date-and-time-748x560.png
>
> I just discovered that i don't actually have ntp installed on this computer, though the rpm does exist when I search for it with yum.
>
> I do have ntpdate installed, but can't find any configuration files that specify the timeservers that it's supposed to be using.
>
> I don't have a /etc/ntp.conf file, and a grep of /var/log/messages doesn't yield any lines containing the string ntp either.
>
> My computer's clock is not inaccurate, so I guess that ntp is working somewhere behind the scenes here, but it sure is well hidden.
>
> Where is ntp and its configuration hiding?  Why isn't it logging what it's doing?

Maybe You have installed chrony instead of ntp.

Re: [CentOS] Centos 7 and ntp

Frank Cox-2
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:17:16 +0200
Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:

> Maybe You have installed chrony instead of ntp.

Apparently so.  I see that /var/lib/chrony/drift is dated just a few minutes ago, so that must be the answer.

I have a line in /etc/chrony.conf that's commented out as follows:

#log measurements statistics tracking

The commenting-out on that line likely accounts for the fact that there are no log entries, either.

Thanks for solving the mystery!

Re: [CentOS] Centos 7 and ntp

fredex
On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 03:36:00PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:17:16 +0200
> Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>
> > Maybe You have installed chrony instead of ntp.
>
> Apparently so.  I see that /var/lib/chrony/drift is dated just a few minutes ago, so that must be the answer.
>
> I have a line in /etc/chrony.conf that's commented out as follows:
>
> #log measurements statistics tracking
>
> The commenting-out on that line likely accounts for the fact that there are no log entries, either.
>
> Thanks for solving the mystery!

I have the idea, from,... somewhere,... that chrony may now be the
default ntp agent in Fedora/RHEL and by extension, CentOS.

I used to use it years ago when I was still stuck on dialup, because it
works well with systems that do not have persistent network access,
and I found it to work quite well.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."