Quantcast

[CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

[CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Joseph Koenig
Just installed CentOS 6.3 from a minimal install disc. All was well, so
I ran a yum update, as well as installed some additional packages
(mysql, httpd, libjpeg, libpng, and more that I don't remember off the
top of my head). Went to reboot the machine and now it won't book up. As
it starts to boot, says:

Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1
Call Trace:
[<ffffffff814fd24a>] ? panic+0xa0/0x168
[<ffffffff81070bd2>] ? do_exit+0x862/0x870
[<ffffffff8117cba5>] ? fput+0x25/0x30
[<ffffffff81070c38>] ? do_group_exit+0x58/0xd0
[<ffffffff81070cc7>] ? sys_exit_group+0x17/0x20
[<ffffffff8100b0f2>] ? system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b

Also, tried selecting the previous kernel at boot, but got the same
message, except with 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 referenced.

Machine is a dell poweredge 620, perc h310 raid controller, 4x600GB 10K
SAS, 16GB RAM, 2xIntel Xeon E5-2630 2.3GHz procs (hex-core), dual 495W
power supplies.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe Koenig
Creative Anvil
1346 Baur Blvd
Olivette, MO 63132
314-692-0338
[hidden email]
http://www.creativeanvil.com/

Re: [CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Morten Stevens
On 20.08.2012 18:17, Joseph Koenig wrote:

> Just installed CentOS 6.3 from a minimal install disc. All was well,
> so
> I ran a yum update, as well as installed some additional packages
> (mysql, httpd, libjpeg, libpng, and more that I don't remember off
> the
> top of my head). Went to reboot the machine and now it won't book up.
> As
> it starts to boot, says:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1
> Call Trace:
> [<ffffffff814fd24a>] ? panic+0xa0/0x168
> [<ffffffff81070bd2>] ? do_exit+0x862/0x870
> [<ffffffff8117cba5>] ? fput+0x25/0x30
> [<ffffffff81070c38>] ? do_group_exit+0x58/0xd0
> [<ffffffff81070cc7>] ? sys_exit_group+0x17/0x20
> [<ffffffff8100b0f2>] ? system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b

That's probably a bug.

Please fill a bug report at https://bugzilla.redhat.com

> Also, tried selecting the previous kernel at boot, but got the same
> message, except with 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 referenced.

Which previous kernel? 2.6.32-279.2.1 or 2.6.32-279.1.1?

> Machine is a dell poweredge 620, perc h310 raid controller, 4x600GB
> 10K
> SAS, 16GB RAM, 2xIntel Xeon E5-2630 2.3GHz procs (hex-core), dual
> 495W
> power supplies.

This machine is certified for RHEL 6 and should run without problems on
CentOS 6.

Best regards,

Morten

Re: [CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

m.roth
Joseph Koenig wrote:

> Just installed CentOS 6.3 from a minimal install disc. All was well, so
> I ran a yum update, as well as installed some additional packages
> (mysql, httpd, libjpeg, libpng, and more that I don't remember off the
> top of my head). Went to reboot the machine and now it won't book up. As
> it starts to boot, says:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1
> Call Trace:
> [<ffffffff814fd24a>] ? panic+0xa0/0x168
<snip>
My first reaction is when the menu, or the "about to boot kernel..." line
comes up, edit that, then add rdshell to the end of your kernel line, and
let it boot. If it gets to the rdshell, you might check to see if there's
an agreement between the root (hdx,x) line in grub.conf and what the
system leads grub to think is the first h/d.

Also, here's what I'm assuming: a) the PERC controller is actually
presenting the drives to the system, and b) that grub was in fact
installed.

       mark

Re: [CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Joseph Koenig
>> Just installed CentOS 6.3 from a minimal install disc. All was well, so
>> I ran a yum update, as well as installed some additional packages
>> (mysql, httpd, libjpeg, libpng, and more that I don't remember off the
>> top of my head). Went to reboot the machine and now it won't book up. As
>> it starts to boot, says:
>>
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>> Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1
>> Call Trace:
>> [<ffffffff814fd24a>] ? panic+0xa0/0x168
> <snip>
> My first reaction is when the menu, or the "about to boot kernel..." line
> comes up, edit that, then add rdshell to the end of your kernel line, and
> let it boot. If it gets to the rdshell, you might check to see if there's
> an agreement between the root (hdx,x) line in grub.conf and what the
> system leads grub to think is the first h/d.
Thanks for the suggestion - just tried and doesn't get to rdshell. The
panic happens within a few seconds (if not less) from when I edit the
kernel line and hit enter to start booting.
> Also, here's what I'm assuming: a) the PERC controller is actually
> presenting the drives to the system, and b) that grub was in fact
> installed.
Yes, grub was installed, and it would seem PERC controller is presenting
drives to the system - at least it was. Before I ran a yum update after
installing the system, I could boot it and log in just fine.

Worth reinstalling from the minimal install disc again just to make sure
that still works? Would that rule out something having gone awry with my
RAID card or disk?

Joseph Koenig wrote:

>>> Just installed CentOS 6.3 from a minimal install disc. All was well, so
>>> I ran a yum update, as well as installed some additional packages
>>> (mysql, httpd, libjpeg, libpng, and more that I don't remember off the
>>> top of my head). Went to reboot the machine and now it won't book up.
>>> As it starts to boot, says:
>>>
>>> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>>> Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1
>>> Call Trace:
>>> [<ffffffff814fd24a>] ? panic+0xa0/0x168
>> <snip>
>> My first reaction is when the menu, or the "about to boot kernel..."
>> line comes up, edit that, then add rdshell to the end of your kernel line,
>> and let it boot. If it gets to the rdshell, you might check to see if
>> there's an agreement between the root (hdx,x) line in grub.conf and
what the
>> system leads grub to think is the first h/d.

> Thanks for the suggestion - just tried and doesn't get to rdshell. The
> panic happens within a few seconds (if not less) from when I edit the
> kernel line and hit enter to start booting.

>> Also, here's what I'm assuming: a) the PERC controller is actually
>> presenting the drives to the system, and b) that grub was in fact
>> installed.

> Yes, grub was installed, and it would seem PERC controller is presenting
> drives to the system - at least it was. Before I ran a yum update after
> installing the system, I could boot it and log in just fine.
>
> Worth reinstalling from the minimal install disc again just to make sure
> that still works? Would that rule out something having gone awry with my
> RAID card or disk?

You *might* want to try installing the minimal server version. Minimal
means a lot less....

        mark

Re: [CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Joseph Koenig
>> Yes, grub was installed, and it would seem PERC controller is presenting
>> drives to the system - at least it was. Before I ran a yum update after
>> installing the system, I could boot it and log in just fine.
>>
>> Worth reinstalling from the minimal install disc again just to make sure
>> that still works? Would that rule out something having gone awry with my
>> RAID card or disk?
> You *might* want to try installing the minimal server version. Minimal
> means a lot less....
Installed from minimal the first time around, which is why I thought
doing that again may be helpful. You think I'd be best to get the full
install and run that though?

Thanks for all the help.

Joseph Koenig wrote:

>>> Yes, grub was installed, and it would seem PERC controller is
>>> presenting
>>> drives to the system - at least it was. Before I ran a yum update after
>>> installing the system, I could boot it and log in just fine.
>>>
>>> Worth reinstalling from the minimal install disc again just to make
>>> sure
>>> that still works? Would that rule out something having gone awry with
>>> my
>>> RAID card or disk?
>> You *might* want to try installing the minimal server version. Minimal
>> means a lot less....
> Installed from minimal the first time around, which is why I thought
> doing that again may be helpful. You think I'd be best to get the full
> install and run that though?

Well, I think there's a minimal server, rather than the full server
install. Of course, I could be confusing that with our pxeboot setup....

Odd thought: have you tried a) looking at the drives in the PERC firmware,
or b) booting to linux rescue, and examining the filesystems?

   mark

Re: [CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Joseph Koenig

> Odd thought: have you tried a) looking at the drives in the PERC firmware,
> or b) booting to linux rescue, and examining the filesystems?
Well, sure enough, it can't seem to find any good superblocks. Even
backups are showing corrupt. Will reinstall and see what happens...

Thanks!

Joseph Koenig wrote:

>> Odd thought: have you tried a) looking at the drives in the PERC
>> firmware, or b) booting to linux rescue, and examining the filesystems?

> Well, sure enough, it can't seem to find any good superblocks. Even
> backups are showing corrupt. Will reinstall and see what happens...

You mean the backup superblocks are bad? And it was a running system before?

Is it still under warranty? You might consider talking to Dell about
checking it out. They'll want you to run the OMSA utility that scans the
system.

       mark

Re: [CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Joseph Koenig
>> Well, sure enough, it can't seem to find any good superblocks. Even
>> backups are showing corrupt. Will reinstall and see what happens...
> You mean the backup superblocks are bad? And it was a running system before?
>
> Is it still under warranty? You might consider talking to Dell about
> checking it out. They'll want you to run the OMSA utility that scans the
> system.

Yep, was running just fine, install went fine, then at reboot after the
yum update, this happened. Server is maybe a week old, so yeah, will get
a hold of Dell. Thanks,

Joe

Re: [CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Jim Wildman
I have the same behavior 6.2 vs latest on my Toshiba satellite.

32-220 boots fine (except for the touchpad and power detection)
32-279.2.1 crashes immediately

Glad to forward logs