[CentOS] The easiest way for Fedora 14 to Centos 6 migration?

[CentOS] The easiest way for Fedora 14 to Centos 6 migration?

Frantisek Hanzlik
I manage several Fedora 14 servers. They was not upgraded due to
several reasons (systemd unreliability, K12LTSP support absence),
some newer packages I was building & updating manually, some
other (OpenOffice, Mozilla) was possible update from projects
binaries.
Now I consider the options to migrate them to Centos 6, possibly
the easiest possible way. What I'd like is some as yum configuration
files replacement of those from Fedora with files from Centos - and
then simply do "yum update".
Has anyone tried to do a similar migration? What procedure would you
recommend?

TIA, Franta Hanzlik

Re: [CentOS] The easiest way for Fedora 14 to Centos 6 migration?

Lamar Owen
On 07/08/2014 04:30 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:

> I manage several Fedora 14 servers. They was not upgraded due to
> several reasons (systemd unreliability, K12LTSP support absence),
> some newer packages I was building & updating manually, some
> other (OpenOffice, Mozilla) was possible update from projects
> binaries.
> Now I consider the options to migrate them to Centos 6, possibly
> the easiest possible way. What I'd like is some as yum configuration
> files replacement of those from Fedora with files from Centos - and
> then simply do "yum update".
> Has anyone tried to do a similar migration? What procedure would you
> recommend?
Unfortunately the version numbers of many things in Fedora 14 are
greater than those in CentOS 6.

I have done this migration, for a desktop user, but I did it with a
reinstall (the user has a separate /home filesystem).  Most things
worked fine, but that was a desktop, not a server.

For that matter I did this migration on my own box not too long after
CentOS 6 was first released; but, again, that's a desktop application
and not a server.  You'll have to check your server packages' versions
in detail and see what may be downgraded by the migration.

Since many packages have a greater epoch-versions-release string in F14
than they do in CentOS 6 many packages probably would not get
up/downgraded properly.