[CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Tim Dunphy-2
Hey all,

 I'm trying to learn how to use some of the big data stores. Specifically I
want to learn how to use CassandraDB and Hadoop. Originally I'd had the
idea of trying to setup a cassandra ring on the Amazon AWS free tier.
However it seems that neither will run on a t2.micro instance.

So I was wondering.. what are some really cheap VPS services that you like
to use for one off projects like this and why. I'm looking for dirt cheap
as possible.

I'd love to hear any opinions on this !!

Thanks
Tim

--
GPG me!!

Re: [CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Nataraj
On 01/15/2015 06:24 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>  I'm trying to learn how to use some of the big data stores. Specifically I
> want to learn how to use CassandraDB and Hadoop. Originally I'd had the
> idea of trying to setup a cassandra ring on the Amazon AWS free tier.
> However it seems that neither will run on a t2.micro instance.
>
> So I was wondering.. what are some really cheap VPS services that you like
> to use for one off projects like this and why. I'm looking for dirt cheap
> as possible.
>
> I'd love to hear any opinions on this !!
>
> Thanks
> Tim

I've seen linux vps's out there for $3-$5/month, but generally they have
pretty bad reviews.  I'd probably go for something like linode's
$10/month vps which works and the company is reasonable to deal with.
Linode does charge you for the VPS if it exists, even if it's not
running, though you won't pay much if you use the vps for a few hours
and then delete it.

There are some cloud providers who have higher rates than linode, but
charge you only a small fee for storage if you shut the vps down when
your not using.  One example who I have no experience with is:
http://www.phoenixnap.com/secured-cloud/about-our-cloud/pricing.php

Here's a $3.99/month cheapie, but I have no experience with it:
http://lowendbox.com/blog/serverhub-4-99-1536mb-openvz-vps-2-ipv4-addresses-in-phoenix-az/

Nataraj

Re: [CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Always Learning-3
> On 01/15/2015 06:24 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> >
> > So I was wondering.. what are some really cheap VPS services that you like
> > to use for one off projects like this and why. I'm looking for dirt cheap
> > as possible.

Depends what you mean by 'cheap'.

In my experience good, fast, less than USD 100 annually, from Germany
(Hetzner, they have good English), Poland (Vibiznes, moderate English),
Czech Republic (gigaserver from Seonet, good English). The English ones
seem more expensive.  For your USD you will get an IP, rDNS and (within
reason) the Operating System of your choice.

In my experience all these have been reliable and never given me
problems.

Paul.
England, EU.      Je suis Charlie.

Re: [CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Steven Tardy-2

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 8:24 PM, Tim Dunphy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> CassandraDB and Hadoop.

Some VPSs (virtuozzo/openvz) have problems with some workloads (java/tomcat) but not other workloads (mysql/apache). I'm not sure how cassandradb/hadoop would run on some of those cheap VPS technologies.

Re: [CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Warren Young-2
On Jan 15, 2015, at 6:24 PM, Tim Dunphy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what are some really cheap VPS services that you like
> to use for one off projects like this and why. I'm looking for dirt cheap
> as possible.

1. Choose a virtual machine technology: Xen, KVM, VirtualBox, VMware, whatever.

2. Spin up as many VMs as you need to test your next idea, within the constraints of available RAM.  If you need more VMs, drag a disused PC out of the closet and put some of them on it.  If you run out of disused PCs, buy more RAM; it’s a lot cheaper than a VPS.

Re: [CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Fran Garcia
On 16 January 2015 at 02:24, Tim Dunphy <> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>  I'm trying to learn how to use some of the big data stores. Specifically I
> want to learn how to use CassandraDB and Hadoop. Originally I'd had the
> idea of trying to setup a cassandra ring on the Amazon AWS free tier.
> However it seems that neither will run on a t2.micro instance.

Google Cloud are now offering $300 worth of compute in their cloud
trial. If you manage to test everything you need under $300, you'd be
ok :-) .

http://cloud.google.com

HTH

~f.

Re: [CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Mihai T. Lazarescu
On 01/15/2015 06:24 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> So I was wondering.. what are some really cheap VPS services
> that you like to use for one off projects like this and why.
> I'm looking for dirt cheap as possible.

You can check the offers that show up on LowEndTalk:

    http://www.lowendtalk.com/categories/offers

Mihai